Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 10, 2011

A St. Patricks Dinner!

For this past St. Patrick's Day, I decided to make my annual family dinner of corned beef, homemade cole slaw and roasted baby potatoes.  For dessert, I made a contemporary version of Irish Soda Bread.  The first thing I needed to do was make the Soda bread, so it had time to cool.  I started in the morning and the end result is photo #1.



My next task was to prepare the corned beef roast.  I prepared it with all of it's seasonings and baked it for 3.5 hours in the convection oven setting.  While it was "resting,"  I decided to prepare the cole slaw.


I wanted to use a new recipe, so I created a buttermilk, vinegar dressing, which I think was absolutely perfect with the texture and cut of the cabbage.  Our family tends to like the cole slaw on the savory side, so I reduced the amount of honey, so that it was not too sweet.


The next item on the menu that needed to be prepared was the roasted potatoes.  I used small red ones this year and bascially used a simple sea salt, fresh cracked pepper and olive oil spread to baste on the potatoes before roasting.  The final touch was a swirl of spicy mustard, which was perfect!


Here's to another Happy St. Patrick's day!

4 comments:

  1. I normally wouldn't look twice at corned beef and hash, but your swirl of mustard pulled me in! What did you put on the soda bread, or did you serve it with a special beverage? Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole meal looks very tasty!!! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had an authentic Irish meal on St. Patty's Day, but I know what I'm doing next year! The corned beef looks so nummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Madelyn!

    It's wonderful to make your acquaintance. I thank you for taking the time to read my St. Patty's Day blog post. Thank you for the compliment on my corned beef. I will be updating my Blue Ribbon Journey and culinary adventures very soon with many photos!

    -Regards-

    The Blue Ribbon Baker!

    ReplyDelete