Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Birthday Celebration-My Chocolate Ganache Spiced Torte Cake!

I tried something different for my birthday this year....I baked my own cake!  I had really been wanting to try a new recipe that I had reviewed in Gourmet Magazine.  I knew that I did not want to be baking, a 3 layer torte, all day in the kitchen, with three various types of chocolate, on my birthday.  So, I had to start the day before.  I have found that starting to create a cake, a day ahead of time, actually seems to work best in producing an amazing cake; especially with putting the french buttercream, and ganache together.  I feel that this method allows the cake to really saturate the flavors and keep it moist. I learned this trick from a bakery that I used for years; for my daughter's amazing show stopping birthday cakes.  Surely, they would have been featured on Ace of Cakes or Cake Wars today.

But, on the morning of my birthday, I was treated by 6 amazing women (girlfriends of mine), to a birthday breakfast at one of my favorite restaurants.  So, I enjoyed playing and connecting with the girls, instead of baking!


I also, knew right after my massage and movie (an annual tradition that I treat myself to every year--a movie by myself), that tempering three types of chocolates would be a major feat before dinner.  So, I chose not to be a perfectionist, to be relaxed and save the major detailed touches until the next day.  I was glad that I waited, because I had the joy of having my 11 year old daughter help me form the chocolate through the pasta machine.  It really was a two person task!  So, here is the final result....


Working the double white chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate ribbons involved much artistic finesse.  I am very glad that I waited to enjoy my birthday cake until the day AFTER my birthday.  Sometimes, doing something different to acknowledge an event is more excting.  So, I  will always remember my Chocolate Ganache Spice Torte Birthday Cake, presented and eaten the day after my birthday.

2 comments:

  1. This cake looks so beautiful, and I can imagine just how good it tasted!
    if I am not too late happy B-Day:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra!

    Thank you so much for the kind words and for following me on my blog!! I look forward to exploring and sharing your writings as well!

    -Heather

    ReplyDelete